[ltp] 3D acceleration on ThinkPad T42

olivier.paquien linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:12:04 +0100

Paul RIVIER a écrit :
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> Am Samstag 16 Dezember 2006 09:36 schrieb olivier.paquien:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I heard somewhere, and many times, you don't need to use the ati
>>> drivers for the T42's video card. I'm using Xorg(AIGLX) with radeon
>>> drivers and Beryl. It works nice and fast enough for me (didn't try to
>>> play yet).
>>>

>> Hello Olivier!
>>
>> Well I tried them first, but I didn't get them to work, I even tried
>> them again once I had fglrx working just to make sure I didn't miss
>> anything... see:
>>
>> Thread
>> [ltp] Radeon support for T42 DRI?
>> My mail:
>> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2006-December/037480.html
>>

>> If you have any hints I am all ears ;-). I have no idea on where I
>> might have missed something.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
> They do work out of the box as long as you use a recent version of
> X.org. See:
> $ X -version
>
> X Window System Version 7.1.1
> Release Date: 12 May 2006
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
>
> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> (...)
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV350 NP [Mobility Radeon
> 9600/9700 M10/M11]"
>        Driver          "radeon"
>        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>        Option          "AGPMode"       "4"
>        Option          "AGPSize" "64"
>        Option          "EnablePageFlip" "true"
>        Option          "ColorTiling"   "on"
>        Option          "EnableDepthMoves" "true"
>        Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
>        Option          "RenderAccel"   "true"
>        Option          "GARTSize"      "64"
>        Option          "DRI"     "true"
>        Option          "DPMS"
>        Option          "DynamicClocks" "on"
> EndSection
> (...)
> Section "DRI"
>        Mode    0666
> EndSection
>

> $ glxinfo | grep -i render
> libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
> direct rendering: Yes
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 AGP 4x TCL

Martin,

I'm using the same version of X as Paul. To configure X I used a
mandriva live cd, copy the xorg.conf (because compiz was running fine
without any manual settings) and checked the loaded modules (I can give
you the module list if you're interesting). once this step done I copied
the conf file and restart gdm. Once logged into Gnome I tried to launch
compiz with "compiz-manager", unfortunately I didn't get any nice
effects (still don't know why). Then I killed compiz and started beryl
with "beryl-manager" and it worked nice. I know beryl is considered as
piece of crap and just hacks of compiz but only this one works.

I just don't know how to manage to move the cube with the mouse fine but
when I switch desktops it turns anyway.

I guess you have not to forget this section if you're using AIGLX :
Section "ServerLayout"
    Option "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

I don't know what means this message but it seems like I don't have to
care about it : "libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b"