[ltp] Need a crash course on T60 boot loaders, SVP

James PEARSON linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:17:05 +0100

Hello all

Where is the boot loader installed on T60s... and how is it setup???

The reason that I am asking is that my T60's hard drive is a Seagate Momentus 7200.1 SATA-100 that I
installed myself. It dual booted openSUSE 10.2 and windows fine - until yesterday, that is, when I inadvertently
deleted the hidden IBM partition - and since that I can't boot.

This obviously means that the boot manager (grub in my case) was installed in the boot sector of the the hidden
partition (i.e. custom boot partition)

Since then I have reinstalled the boot loader to the following partitions
- root partition
- boot partition
- master boot partition

None of the above choices have worked i.e my T60 won't boot. The obvious solution is to use my Thinkpad
advantage CDs and restore everything but I would first like to understand but is going on here.

For example, when I installed the boot loader to master boot partition, the following options were selected
- use master boot partition
- set active flag in partition table for boot record
- write generic code to MBR

Why doesn't the above work? It works on other PCs (i.e tower case PCs and HP portables and the like).

Any comments, help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

TIA
James