[ltp] Basic setup t60p - build MBR

James PEARSON linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:47:04 +0100

Hello Gerard

If you look at my post "Need a crash course on T60 boot loaders, SVP" you will see that I am asking
a question close to yours. Newer Thinkpads appear to have "special" MBR - where special means different and out
of the ordinary.

IMO, you have two choices:
- use your recovery disks and re install Windows (you did make recovery disks, didn't you?). This will
reinstall you MBR.
- re install openSUSE (hint, do a full install!!!) and pay particular attention to the # boot loader # selection
you make. Play with the different choices.

Note : if you re install openSUSE and opt to install the  # boot loader # to the master boot partition all
will work but you will lose access to the blue Thinkadvantage button. This is what I finally I had to do this
this last weekend and reinstalling serval times - openSUSE and Windows both boot now - note the order :)

Note : I was installing openSUSE on the SATA internal hd, not to the Ultrabay. If nothing else works, make a 10
Gig partition and opt for the first option because it will allow you to boot one or the other OS. Worked for me.

Hope this helps

Regards
James