[ltp] Need a crash course on T60 boot loaders, SVP

James PEARSON linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:04:40 +0100

> > I have restored my T60 using the recovery discs I made, but I think the
> > diagnostic partition is still type 0x0b.

I know that I can reinstall using the recovery disks but I would like to try to understand how things work
first.

> > To use grub to load that code, the partition type must be 0x0b, but it is
> > normally 0x12 (Compaq Diagnostics).

How does one identify the partition "type" (e.g. 0x0b vs 0x12 vs...)?
Neither "parted" nor "fdisk" give me this type of information.

> > That code also will only run the boot loader from the first partition,
> > no matter which is marked active.

Interesting, thanks

> Eh, no, again. grub is installed here (T43) on /dev/sda3 and everything is
> running peachy.

And /dev/sda3 is your extended (e.g. W95 Ext'd (LDA)) partition? yes/no

question: I figure that one can install the boot loader in just about any partition. True/false?  All comments
welcome!

> > Installing grub in the MBR will work just fine, as you noticed before,
> > except for the blue button functioning as designed.
> > But one way to proceed is to fix
> > your MBR somehow, install grub on the boot partition, then use Windows'
> > boot.ini to load that.
>

> IBM has released an MBR fixer floppy. ThinkWiki has the info.
Thank you for this info I will try and find it.

> title=IBM R&R
>    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>    chainloader +1

Noted for testing in the future, after I get around to re installing the hidden partition which deleted that
is :)

Thanks for the come back.
Regards
James