[ltp] Need a crash course on T60 boot loaders, SVP

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:52:55 -0600 (CST)

> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:57:51 +0100 (MET)
> From: "Igor V. Rafienko" <igorr+tp@ifi.uio.no>

> on Dec 18, 2006, 07:22, Chris Schumann wrote:
>> To use grub to load that code, the partition type must be 0x0b, but it
>> is normally 0x12 (Compaq Diagnostics).
> Ehh, no. The partition type must not be 0xb (despite the fact that it is
>  indeed a FAT partition). In fact, one should leave it as it is.

Partly incorrect, sir. One should indeed leave it as it is (0x12), but
grub will load it just fine if it is set to 0x0b.

>> That code also will only run the boot loader from the first partition,
>>  no matter which is marked active.
> Eh, no, again. grub is installed here (T43) on /dev/sda3 and everything
> is  running peachy.

Irrelevant. On the T60/p, with the factory MBR, it will only boot the
first partition.

> However, for someone who wants dualboot, I can recommend this:
The procedure you posted will not enable the ThinkVantage button to work
at startup (because it will only boot the first partition), but it may
well suit the OP.

*If* ThinkVantage is something you want to work and have dual boot (and I
do), here's what I did (option 1):

- Leave the MBR as is
- Shrink the Windows partition
- Install Linux with a /boot partition (mine was sda3)
- Copy that MBR to a file like c:\linux.img
- Edit your boot.ini file to allow Windows to boot linux

That enables all these functions:
> * the possibility to boot into R&R
> * the possibility to boot into *nix of your choice
> * the possibility to boot into windows
> * a functioning (also during bios post) thinkvantage button that boots
>    into R&R.

(including other comments...)

I did this without setting the drive to compatability mode.

> From: James PEARSON <pearson33j@wanadoo.fr>
> question: I figure that one can install the boot loader in just about
> any partition. True/false?  All comments welcome!

You can indeed install it anywhere, but the BIOS in your machine will
always load the MBR and that code determines what to do next. If it's the
factor MBR (on a T60/p), that will load only the first partition's boot
sector, after checking if the ThinkVantage button was pressed.

The "standard" MBR will boot the partition marked as active, but will not
check the button.

Chris