[ltp] automatically detecting external monitor?

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:00:22 +0100

--=-18fIwUt0iwy6L4FdXuni

hi,

I've done this, but there is a restriction. You have to start X in the
highest resolution, so it'll work.

My System is a T40 with radeon 7500. Will be not the same for you, but
maybe it'll help

I switch between 1280x1024 and 1024x768 with this commands:
xrandr -s 2 /* 1280x1024 */
xrandr -s 3 /* 1024x768 */

The other modes are for stripped screen and so on.

Xorg.conf is here:
http://konstantin.filtschew.de/linux/xorg.conf.mergefb

This solution was previously posted on this list, I've changed it only
some stuff for my setup.

Greetz

Konstantin Filtschew

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 16:37 +0100, Juergen Lemke wrote:
> Hi Richard
>=20
> Thank you for your help. I will try binding xrandr as
> you suggested.
>=20
> Best
>=20
> Juerg
>=20
> --- Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> schrieb:
>=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Juergen Lemke wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >=20
> > > I have been the happy user of a X30 under
> > GNU/Linux
> > > for a couple of years now. I finally got around to
> > > using an external monitor, keyboard and mouse
> > whenever
> > > I am at a desk, and I have successfully configured
> > > X.org to work with both the internal monitor (at
> > > 1024x768x24) as well as the external one (at
> > > 1280x1024x24). For other users of this model, I
> > have
> > > attached my xorg.conf in case they find it useful.
> > >=20
> > > I do so by using two "Screen" sections in my
> > xorg.conf
> > > file, and starting X with either
> > >=20
> > > $ startx -- - screen internal
> > >=20
> > > or
> > >=20
> > > $ startx -- - screen external
> > >=20
> > > This works fine. But is it possible to have X
> > > automatically detect if the external monitor is
> > > attached, and pick the correct "Screen" section on
> > its
> > > own?
> > >=20
> > > Thank you for any advice!
> >=20
> > No idea how to autodetect, but why not set up a
> > single screen, with=20
> > various resolutions up to 1280x1024. Then use
> > xvidtune/xrandr to=20
> > dynamically re-size and scale, without needing to
> > restart X. You could=20
> > maybe even bind it to Fn-F7 using acpi.
> >=20
> > Richard
> > --=20
> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:

> >=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 	=09
> Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger.yahoo.de
--=20
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
instructions.

--=-18fIwUt0iwy6L4FdXuni

--=-18fIwUt0iwy6L4FdXuni--