[ltp] T40p FC6 twin-head woes

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:31:47 +0000

Hi all
I'm new to this list, hope someone can point me in the right direction...

I've recently installed Fedora Core 6 on my T40p having finally got so
fed up with Windows slowdowns etc. Mostly the install was a breeze, but
I've got a major problem that I can't fix despite much web searching and
trial and error,  inability to configure for dual screens. If I can't
get this to work I'll have to go back to Windows because I need to do
presentations etc.

I'm running kernel  2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 with a pretty stock installation.
lspci gives me:
  VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 [Mobility
FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

I'm using the standard radeon driver, and my xorg.conf is listed at the
foot of this mail.
When I try configuring dual-head through the standard Display admintool
the external monitor shows a connection but the screen is completely
blank. The workspace switcher shows a wide screen and I can move windows
off the LCD into the external monitor area but they're invisible.

After doing some hunting I decided to try the fglrx driver from livna -
but using this in twin-head mode hangs my system completely.
I've tried all sorts of things suggested by others but cannot get both
LCD and external running together. Either the system hangs when X comes
up, or LCD or external is blank. If I boot connected to external I can
run on that but the LCD is blank. I very briefly had this working after
a fashion on FC5 but I've no idea how! I really really don't want to go
back to Windoze but will have to if I can't get dual head working.

Hope someone can advise!
Thanks
Phil

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AllowMouseOpenFail" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1400x1050"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
        VertRefresh  59.0 - 75.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800"
"1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection