[ltp] Xen or VMWare

Ron Joffe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:00:49 -0500

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 12:59, David Abrahams wrote:
> If anyone has experience to share here, it would be very welcome.

David,

One thing to note with Winders. When you start up winders in either the vm or
natively, it needs to have the proper drivers in place for its environment.
The native thinkpad environment is VERY different from a vm environment.
Think of all of the different drivers from disk to video to network, sound,
etc,etc,etc.

If you were to configure Winders in the VM (even running off of a native disk
partition), windows will need to load all of the drivers for that vm
environment.

If then you wanted to do a native boot of that same partition, it would almost
be useless until you were able to get all of the proper drivers installed.
After install, going back to the vm environment would again require driver
install.

I did this scenario once on my thinkpad, and I will never try it again, it was
very painful and time consuming.

Just my 2 Cents,

Ron