[ltp] Vote on the design of future ThinkPad

Baz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:38:28 -0800

------=_Part_41562_2813901.1166733508634

On 12/21/06, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Aye.  I don't care too much about how the outside looks.  I want
> >
> > * a TrackPoint, and 3 mouse buttons
>
> Seconded. Actually, I'd like to revert to the earlier layout of 2+1
> buttons where the "middle" button is located below the other 2, and
> there's no touchpad.
>
> > * a decent keyboard
>
> Without Windows keys! Or maybe we could have some changeable keycaps
> which press on over the Win and menu keys to make Ctrl/Alt bigger again.
> this would make everyone happy.  Also, could the down-arrow key be
> physically moved down a little, or given a different texture, to make it
> easier to not hit the left-arrow by mistake?
>

> Also, can we have:
>
> * The double separate lid-catch back - these were designed to allow
> single-handed lid opening, and were implemented as a neat
> "accessibility" feature.
>
> * 2 thinklights instead of one, for greater brightness.
>
> * A return to the older-style "soft-touch" coating. Admittedly, this
> wasn't so robust in earlier incarnations - eg my watch chipped it off a
> 770 over time, but the later versions (eg X22) proved tougher.
>
> * Ship with some spare trackpoint caps! (about 10 of these would be nice
> - they are consumables, but very expensive as spares).
>
> * Flip-out feet (as on the 770) - to allow the keyboard angle to be
> raised when using on a desk.
>
> * All 3 of the audio ports. I know that line-in isn't often used, but I
> *really* wanted one last week! And the mic-input isn't a stereo one.
>
> * Inbuilt firewire. Why shouldn't a T60p have everything?
>
> * Put the network etc ports back where they belong, i.e. the back of the
> machine. Some USB ports should be on the side, for ease of plugging in
> devices, but network and video cables belong on the back, so they don't
> stick out.
>
> * Most importantly, return to the highest possible build quality.
> Remember IBM's "Leadership design" campaign, and the time when laptops
> clearly divided into First class (Thinkpads), and second class
> (everything else). A Thinkpad ought to be rather like a Rolls Royce, and
> considering that I paid more for the T60p than my car, it could benefit
> from a little more love.
>

> Anyone from IBM/Lenovo listening?  I like my new T60p a lot, but it
> doesn't make me go "wow" in the same way that the earlier Thinkpads did.
> Does anyone know how to tell Lenovo this sort of thing?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
>
> --

Richard -

"Without Windows keys! Or maybe we could have some changeable keycaps
which press on over the Win and menu keys to make Ctrl/Alt bigger again.
this would make everyone happy."

I think re-labeling the with a universal ID for operating system would work
for me.  I'm for getting rid of the Windows insignia.

"Anyone from IBM/Lenovo listening?"
I had a Lenovo employee answer a post on a forum.  I'll forward everyone's
comments to him.

- Sebastian

--
"...heart and soul....one will burn."