[ltp] Vote on the design of future ThinkPad

Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:54:11 -0500

On 12/21/06, Igor V. Rafienko <igorr+tp@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> on Dec 21, 2006, 20:28, Richard Neill wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > * Inbuilt firewire. Why shouldn't a T60p have everything?
>

> Far more important, why, for the love of all that is unholy, aren't
> thinkpads equipped with a (dual-link) DVI? It's 2006, for crying out loud,
> and VGA D-SUB is an affront in this day and age.

Well, for 90% of users plain old vga is fine (think projectors).
Also, it wasn't until the avivo based radeons that ati provided a
built in dual link TMDS transmitter.  The old r128/radeon TMDS
transmitter was only single link.  Dual link solutions with the older
display engines required an external TMDS chip which adds expense.
Dual link DVI may work with the T60p and the adanced dock.  As more
iterations of avivo based notebooks come out I'd image you'll start to
see DVI ports.

Alex