[ltp] Vote on the design of future ThinkPad

ted frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 03:32:50 +0000

Richard Neill wrote:

>> Aye.  I don't care too much about how the outside looks.  I want
>>
>> * a TrackPoint, and 3 mouse buttons
>

> Seconded. Actually, I'd like to revert to the earlier layout of 2+1
> buttons where the "middle" button is located below the other 2, and
> there's no touchpad.
>
>> * a decent keyboard
>

> Without Windows keys! Or maybe we could have some changeable keycaps
> which press on over the Win and menu keys to make Ctrl/Alt bigger again.
> this would make everyone happy.  Also, could the down-arrow key be
> physically moved down a little, or given a different texture, to make
> it easier to not hit the left-arrow by mistake?
>

> Also, can we have:
>
> * The double separate lid-catch back - these were designed to allow
> single-handed lid opening, and were implemented as a neat
> "accessibility" feature.
>
> * 2 thinklights instead of one, for greater brightness.
>
> * A return to the older-style "soft-touch" coating. Admittedly, this
> wasn't so robust in earlier incarnations - eg my watch chipped it off
> a 770 over time, but the later versions (eg X22) proved tougher.
>
> * Ship with some spare trackpoint caps! (about 10 of these would be
> nice - they are consumables, but very expensive as spares).
>
> * Flip-out feet (as on the 770) - to allow the keyboard angle to be
> raised when using on a desk.
>
> * All 3 of the audio ports. I know that line-in isn't often used, but
> I *really* wanted one last week! And the mic-input isn't a stereo one.
>
> * Inbuilt firewire. Why shouldn't a T60p have everything?
>
> * Put the network etc ports back where they belong, i.e. the back of
> the machine. Some USB ports should be on the side, for ease of
> plugging in devices, but network and video cables belong on the back,
> so they don't stick out.
>
> * Most importantly, return to the highest possible build quality.
> Remember IBM's "Leadership design" campaign, and the time when laptops
> clearly divided into First class (Thinkpads), and second class
> (everything else). A Thinkpad ought to be rather like a Rolls Royce,
> and considering that I paid more for the T60p than my car, it could
> benefit from a little more love.
>

> Anyone from IBM/Lenovo listening?  I like my new T60p a lot, but it
> doesn't make me go "wow" in the same way that the earlier Thinkpads did.
> Does anyone know how to tell Lenovo this sort of thing?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

I agree 2 thinkights would be better than one, but better still would be
the idea I mooted to IBM some 4 years ago ( thats come to nothing so far)
thats a keyboard with fluorecing white letters and numbers and
thinklights of UV light,as opposed to fully illuminated back light letters.
 This isnt something new, we had this some 50 yrs ago on our aircraft
instrument panels for night flying .
If you switch from looking at say my 15.4in  A21P screen  to a keyboard
and back a gain in low light conditions, the eye has to continually
adjust to the changing light levels. Over time this is tiring . And
neednt be so.
 Yesterday, I went into the new Apple store in Bath UK and had a look at
the latest offerings.Design wise  as always the mac books very classy
andgood looking but build quality?
No way as well thought out as the thinkpads.  the screen hinges as usual
very weak and flexing. Not suitable for every day use. Just ideal to sit
on a desk and look pretty.
No defining edge ot the trackpad so you couldnt tell where it was by
feel.Not opaque white body and keys but painted!! silver. Cheap looking
like a dell despite the design.
Also the keyboard travel not for long serious use.
All the cable outputs on the rt hand side. Looked messy like most cableo
utputs do.
Finally screen resolution on the 17in model not the same high standard
as my  AD2000  thinkpad.
the bottom line is would I be prepared to pay more for all this?
 No question. the answer is yes.

 ,