[ltp] enumeration of BIOS actions?

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:59:04 -0500

is there a list somewhere (docs, IBM docs, code, ??) that would
specifically talk about actions that the BIOS takes on its own,
versus actions taken by acpi in response to BIOS events?  i assume
there _are_ autonomous BIOS actions, correct?

for instance -- i'd like to keep the wireless card powered down
all the time, unless i explicitly turn it on (with F5), and then,
of course, i'd like it to stay on.  on my X41, running ubuntu
edgy, wireless seems to be turned on anytime the notebook comes
out of suspend.  i suspect this is a BIOS thing, but it's a
little hard to be sure i haven't just missed some bit of faulty
script somewhere.

hrmmm.  actually, i just discovered that it's likely that the wireless
driver is being unloaded/reloaded across a suspend, which probably
explains it.  i'll investigate that some more.

but in any case, there are also other examples that i'd like to
understand better:  there are state changes that occur when i
connect to my ultrabay dock -- external monitor, etc.  since i
see nothing under acpi for "docked/undocked", again, i assume
these changes are caused by the BIOS, but again, i'm not sure.

any tips?

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 39.2 degrees)