[ltp] enumeration of BIOS actions?

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:03:26 -0500

alex wrote:
 > The bios does what it does on boot.  there may be some scratch regs
 > that save some state, but I suspect it varies from bios to bios.  the
 > acpi methods handled by ibm_acpi call bios methods that mess with the
 > actual hardware.  what you probably want is to call the appropriate
 > ibm acpi hooks in a resume script to call the appropriate acpi methods
 > to get you hardware into the state you want it on resume.

hmmm.  okay.  i guess i need to find acpi docs, then.  so, i take
it that you're saying that the BIOS doesn't do anything independently
after initial boot?  i guess that's how i've always assumed things
were, but lately i've been seeing reference to comments like "the bios
does this", or "the bios does that", as if it were managing some h/w
aspects without kernel intervention.

is there a log, or a way to turn on logging, for _all_ acpi/bios events
as they're reported up to the kernel?  (okay, i guess i'm starting
to ask non-thinkpad-specific questions... :-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 36.5 degrees)