[ltp] External video woes (T42, Radeon M7 LW)

Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:08:27 +0200

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

I've been using a dual-head configuration with my Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad
T42; open-source radeon driver) for quite a while.

Initially (Ubuntu Breezy) it worked just fine, and I could switch between
1024x768-1024x768 and 1024x768 clone mode with xrandr.  The only little
cloud was that I couldn't use 1024x768-1280x1024, because
MergeNonRectangular wasn't implemented yet.

Then (in Ubuntu Dapper) xrandr (and sometimes regular usage) started
causing system freezes, and it was pretty painful for a while.

Finally (in Ubuntu Edgy), this bug was fixed, but instead xrandr started
acting flaky.  It would just stop working until an X server restart.
And now it's even more fun: even when xrandr works, sometimes I get a
1024x768-1280x1024 desktop, and the external monitor detects the signal,
but it shows only a black image.  Restarting X doesn't help.  So far I
haven't discovered a way to get the image back, short of rebooting.

/proc/ibm/acpi/video says:

    status:         supported
    lcd:            enabled
    crt:            disabled
    dvi:            disabled
    auto:           enabled
    commands:       lcd_enable, lcd_disable
    commands:       crt_enable, crt_disable
    commands:       dvi_enable, dvi_disable
    commands:       auto_enable, auto_disable
    commands:       video_switch, expand_toggle

Neither crt_enable, nor video_switch work.  foo_enable never did, but I
remember that I could use video_switch before.

Fn-F7 doesn't work, but then it never used to while in X.  My Xorg.0.log
says that BIOS hot keys are enabled.  /var/log/acpid registers Fn-F7
presses and executes the action "/bin/true", so I probably need to muck
with ibm_acpi hotkey mask.  If I set it to 0xffbf, fn-f7 doesn't send
ACPI events any more, but it doesn't toggle video outputs either.

Aaargh!

Marius Gedminas
not happy
--=20
If nothing else helps, read the documentation.

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--