[ltp] External video woes (T42, Radeon M7 LW)

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 01:47:31 +0100

--=-Xcjs/ll3VCTNbATApzhu

hi,

almost the same on gentoo with T40(Radeon M7 LW). Xrandr stops working
after some suspend cycles. I've tried to find out why, but there are no
log entries to watch them out.

1024x768-1280x1024 works great for me, the only thing is, that I have to
start X-windows with connected external monitor so the X-window can
detect the right resolution, else it'll lower it on 1024x768.

Sorry to say, but I can't find a solution at the moment. The Code of
X-Windows is in heavy development and after one release, there are to
many changes to fight with :(

Greetz

Konstantin

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 15:08 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> I've been using a dual-head configuration with my Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad
> T42; open-source radeon driver) for quite a while.
>=20
> Initially (Ubuntu Breezy) it worked just fine, and I could switch between
> 1024x768-1024x768 and 1024x768 clone mode with xrandr.  The only little
> cloud was that I couldn't use 1024x768-1280x1024, because
> MergeNonRectangular wasn't implemented yet.
>=20
> Then (in Ubuntu Dapper) xrandr (and sometimes regular usage) started
> causing system freezes, and it was pretty painful for a while.
>=20
> Finally (in Ubuntu Edgy), this bug was fixed, but instead xrandr started
> acting flaky.  It would just stop working until an X server restart.
> And now it's even more fun: even when xrandr works, sometimes I get a
> 1024x768-1280x1024 desktop, and the external monitor detects the signal,
> but it shows only a black image.  Restarting X doesn't help.  So far I
> haven't discovered a way to get the image back, short of rebooting.
>=20
> /proc/ibm/acpi/video says:
>=20
>     status:         supported
>     lcd:            enabled
>     crt:            disabled
>     dvi:            disabled
>     auto:           enabled
>     commands:       lcd_enable, lcd_disable
>     commands:       crt_enable, crt_disable
>     commands:       dvi_enable, dvi_disable
>     commands:       auto_enable, auto_disable
>     commands:       video_switch, expand_toggle
>=20
> Neither crt_enable, nor video_switch work.  foo_enable never did, but I
> remember that I could use video_switch before.
>=20
> Fn-F7 doesn't work, but then it never used to while in X.  My Xorg.0.log
> says that BIOS hot keys are enabled.  /var/log/acpid registers Fn-F7
> presses and executes the action "/bin/true", so I probably need to muck
> with ibm_acpi hotkey mask.  If I set it to 0xffbf, fn-f7 doesn't send
> ACPI events any more, but it doesn't toggle video outputs either.
>=20
> Aaargh!
>=20
> Marius Gedminas
> not happy
--=20
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
instructions.

--=-Xcjs/ll3VCTNbATApzhu

--=-Xcjs/ll3VCTNbATApzhu--