[ltp] New Thinkpad and First Steps

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:25:34 -0600

> Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:58:28 -0500
> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>

> I am toying with (re)installing the backups under VMWare, Zen
> or KVM (advice sought) but I seem to recollect that the
> backup mechanism trashes anything already on the disk, thus
> undoing my Fedora install.
> Can anyone confirm this and recommend how I can install the
> provided/licensed Lenovo Windows/XP system as a guest OS
> under one of the virtualized kernels?

I can confirm that the restore discs default behavior is to erase the entire
drive. However, I don't know what happens if you "boot" them in a virtual
machine.

There are several ways to get XP in a virtual machine, but I haven't tried
any. :)

I have a dual-boot setup. I used Knoppix, but there are other Live CD's that
will boot and allow you to shrink your Windows partition. See
www.thinkwiki.org about installing Fedora on any *60 machine.

There is also a large discussion about retaining ThinkVantage functionality.
Hint: Back up your MBR!

You should be able to use Xen to have multiple OS's running, but I found my
Linux performace to take a large hit even just running once instance as a
guest. The Xen kernel appears to have a lot of overhead at this point, at
least for 3D.

Chris Schumann