[ltp] New Thinkpad and First Steps

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 07:01:09 -0500

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 03:42:45AM -0500, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> What are the compelling reasons for keeping Windows available at all?
> Is it required to support any IBM/Lenovo features (I'm thinking
> ThinkVantage but I don't really know what this is)?  The only concrete
> reason I can come up with is for equipment repairs.  If something should
> happen during the normal warranty cycle, IBM/Lenovo will not deal with a
> Linux installed laptop and have threatened great expense to me in the
> past to re-install Windows in order to be able to diagnose the device.

There are some hardware setups which are easier (or maybe only doable)
from Windows.

1) Registering fingerprints to replace the bootup password (to provide
pre-bootup security) --- this is cool because you can lock the
motherboard and the hard drive(s) so they will only function if they
are given the correct password or the correct fingerprint.  So if
somoene steals your laptop, they will have much harder time getting
access to your data.

2) Setting up the initial EVDO hardware (if you have it on your
system) seems to be only doable using the provided Windows software.
After it is set up, it works just fine under Linux.

3) Upgrade of system firmware (Bios, bluetooth firmware, et. al) is
easier under Windows, although the BIOS/Embedded Controller seems to
be doable from a bootable ISO image --- if Lenovo bothered to provide
it.  I didn't see a way of upgrading the Bluetooth firmware from
Linux.  (There was a Bluetooth upgrade that was supposed to enhance
its transfer speed.)

						- Ted