[ltp] Goodbye to Linux on my Thinkpad :-(

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:10:44 +0000

What a patronising bunch of claptrap. I've had major problems with this
too, and I have read everything I can find on the web (including
ThinkWiki). Some of the info out there is just plain wrong, some is out
of date (and many sites do not date their postings so you've no idea if
it's fresh or not), and all of it is specific to a particular hardware.
I'm an avid Linux user,  I administer a network of various machine types
and hate Windoze with a passion.

I can boot XP on my Thinkpad, and without reading a single document or
doing ANY config I can switch between LCD and external (or both), change
resolution on either screen, move relative screen positions etc etc, and
not even have to logout and log back in. Hell even my father can do it.
If Linux has any chance of success it has to get as close to this
experience as possible. Evolution will either improve the breed or see
to it that it becomes extinct alongside a whole bunch of other
technically great but poorly implemented stuff (betamax, OS2, etc).

In contrast with FC6 and the radeon driver I can't do any of this. Most
of the info posted requires manual edits of xorg.conf - and if you get
it wrong then it's back to booting in single-user mode to sort out the
file. Certain configs that work for some Radeon hardware hang the
machine completely on other hardware. After many days of trying (and a
clean reinstall of FC6) I still can't get twinhead display on my t40p -
I can get a display on either LCD or VGA but not both.

If anyone out there has got dual-head working with the same video card
as my T40p (lspci lists "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 [Mobility
FireGL 9000] (rev 02)") then I'd be really pleased to hear from them,
but smart-arse comments don't help. If you haven't got anything
intelligent to say then keep quiet.

Phil

PS - yes I am really pissed off with this.