[ltp] Goodbye to Linux on my Thinkpad :-(

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:49:55 +0100

Hello,

> Which config?

I don't have the link anymore.

> There are several on thinkwiki. I've tried several,  the one that looks
> most promising is at
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Additional_options_for_the_radeon_driver

Yes, that looks like mine on the R51. The t40p is gone ...

> However using this my external stays resolutely blank (although it is
> getting signal). The desktop shows multiple screen but if I drag windows
> over to the external they don't show.

That sound like a way too high resolution or frequency on the VGA-port.
Open your log
or run xrandr to test.

It happens on my system if i suspend-to-RAM in dual head, resume without
the 2. screen,
suspend-to-RAM again and resume with the 2. screen. At that point the
radeon-driver and
hardware is no longer in sync and ... uhm ... rebooting fixes it.

> Does the bios monitor setting make any difference?

Not for me. But the external has to be connected at bootup OR activiated
via Fn-F7
before Xorg starts. If xorg starts without the external montior up and
running i get
a single head setup (fine with me, i do not carry that CRT around all the
time).

> I'd be grateful for a copy of your xorg.conf.

Sure:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen         0 "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice    "Mouse1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
	FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
	FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
	FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
	FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "bitmap"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "ddc"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "int10"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	"CoreKeyboard"
	Option	"XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option	"XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	"XkbLayout" "de"
	Option	"XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse1"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	"CorePointer"
	Option	"Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	"Protocol" "auto"
	Option	"ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	"ButtonMapping" "1 10 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 2"
	Option	"Emulate3Buttons"
	Option	"EmulateWheel" "on"
	Option	"EmulateWheelButton" "10"
	Option	"XAxisMapping"  "6 7"
	Option	"YAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
#	HorizSync    28.0 - 49.0
	VertRefresh  43.0 - 60.0
	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "radeon0"
	Driver "radeon"
	Option "AGPMode" "4"
	Option "AGPFastWrite" "on"
	Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
	Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,NONE"
	Option "MergedFB" "true"
	Option "CRT2Position" "rightof"
	Option "MetaModes" "1024x768-1024x768"
	Option "CRT2Hsync" "30-60"
	Option "CRT2VRefresh" "60-75"

	#For compiz:
	Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "radeon0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth    24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
	Option "Composite" "true"
EndSection

That is for the low-res R51. I don't own the t40p anymore, got a X
instead... The fontpaths
may not work on non-debian systems, there is no touchpad configured. I
don't use dynClock
since a rovclock-script does the job for me (don't argue, i don't really
need highspeed
3D anyway). And the BIOS-key (Fn-F7) does not work in X (since both
screens are used/needed).

glx/mesa works on both heads, even if the window using it is partily
visible on both heads.
Even compiz "works" on both heads (it does not redraw the background on
the second head... ?).

Mind: i have debian etch. The debian X-strike-force modifies just about
every X package and
may have included same patches not available by default elsewhere. I know
for sure ubuntu has
at least one bug more then the debian-edition (since a lot of people are
asking about
dynclock + berly in #debian ... )

The X-log starts with:
X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006

The ati-driver package is version 6.6.3-2, the xorg-package is 7.1.0-5.

THANKS A LOT TO ALL THE PEOPLE WRITING THIS SOFTWARE. IT WORKS GREAT, KEEP
IT ON.

And bug ATI to relase more informations about the newer cards.

(and bux intel-gfx if ati is not getting it on).

cu