[ltp] Re: Ultrabay hard drive

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:19:37 -0500

Josh wrote:
>>> Thanks to everyone for their tips. This is turning
>>> into a real headache.
>> I'm curious what your approach to this is. I
>> googled "vmware player virtua= l=20 machine", and on
> the first and second
>> pages found several links, including= =20 this one:
>>
> http://bruno.steadyhosting.co.uk/portal/viewtopic.php?t=3D41
> I think that
>> even buying a copy of VMware Workstation would be
> better value= =20 than
>> buying an extra hard drive, carrier, and external
> CD, as well as quite= a=20
>> bit more convenient.
>
> Thanks for your reply.  That link took me to a page
> about MD5-crypt algorithm.  My problem is that I can't
> figure out how VMware works.  I downloaded the free
> VMware player (which took a couple hours to install
> because it didn't go like the install script was
> telling me).  So I have this thing on my computer and
> my Windows XP disks, but I don't know the next step.
> Maybe I should download the workstation edition, but
> I'd rather not spend hours trying to figure this out.
> I'm wondering if there are going to be more hurdles
> repartitioning my drive, and installing software.  I
> just need something that works without a lot of time
> spent figuring things out -- it doesn't matter if I
> have to buy a hard drive or lose my internal CD drive.
Vmware couldn't be easier...
you can install an operating system into a file on your disk.
It just works.
There's not much software that consistently makes me happy - but Vmware
does.
I think it's worth your time to figure it out.

>  (Very unhappy about my computer at the moment. I wish
> Adobe would make Linux versions of their software --
> it doesn't seem like a far stretch for them to get
> their software running on Linux if they can get it
> running on OSX.)
thats a huge stretch... totally different way of drawing on the screen.

brad