[ltp] Don't buy the IBM 8K8190 / 8K8191 Ultrabay Slim Battery.

Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:50:20 +0100 (MET)

on Feb 3, 2006, 15:28, Thomas Roessler wrote:

[ ... ]

> For the record: I fell into an IBM marketing trap here.  The
> ultrabay slim batteries for the T series thinkpads *do* *not*
> double the capacity of the machine,

This is hardly suprising, given that the battery is rated at around 22Wh
(<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay_Slim_Battery>). The 9-cell
battery is 77+Wh. The 6-cell version is 47+Wh (those numbers are for
T-series)

22Wh does not look like doubling the running time. I can perhaps make my
laptop use around 14W, which would give 1.5h extra on the ultrabay
battery.

The advantage of the ultrabay battery is that you can change batteries
while the computer is running. You cannot do that when "unplugged" and
having two 9-cell batteries.

> the real technical specifications can be found, and it's
> suddenly just "up to 2 hours without recharge" battery life

... 2 hours on 22Wh battery is still impressive :)

ivr
--
I'm normally not caring about writing memory management stuff in C++:
This is done by the classes I'm using.