[ltp] vlock + suspend to RAM fails

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 20:00:39 -0500

Daniel Maier wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:30:52PM +0100, Felix E. Klee wrote:
>
>>> I have to reload several modules
>>> and enable devices through PNP BIOS to make them work again.
>>>
>> Why? What kind of devices are affected on what machine?
>>
> T22. I currently reloading snd_cs46xx (sound) and nsc_ircc (irda),
> which I have to enable, too.

Same here, and I have to eject all PCMCIA devices before I try and go
into suspend since most of the drivers for the ones I use don't seem to
do suspend/resume at all. (I could software-deactivate them, but it's
easier to physically eject so that I can "just shove it back in" on
resume. Assuming I want to use the card when the machine re-wakes.)
>>> You control what is done when suspending and waking up, so it should
>>> be enough to do the locking first after waking up.
>>>
>> But it's a multitasking OS. :-) The script finishes off in the
>> background.  Of course, it may be secure nevertheless since "vlock"
>> should be the first program that the kernel gets instructed to execute
>> after the system is back from sleep.
>>
> I think its kinda fast. I am locking my screen *after* resuming
> using xscreensaver, and I have never had enough time to kill it,
> even when theres high load. But you are right, it is not that clean.

I'm paranoid, so I've always had my system lock on suspend. (It also
auto-locks after a fairly few minutes of inactivity, so odds are it's
already locked when I trigger the suspend via Fn-key combo.) Ever since
I discovered
the magic of /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command, it's been pretty painless...
I got annoyed at the fact that, when the machine RESUMED, I'd get a
black screen and forget that the machine was ready for me to unlock and
use it. So now, my /etc/hibernate.conf contains:

OnResume 20 /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -display :0.0 -deactivate

...This causes xscreensaver to pop up its type-password-to-unlock box,
instead of just sitting there with a black screen, mocking me. (...It
mocks me, you see.)

-FeRD