[ltp] is Ultrabay hot swappable

mario linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:01:45 -0800 (PST)

hello everybody,

i have a t42p with a 60g/7.2k hard drive running ubuntu breezy.
As i expected i'm out of hard drive space mainly due to VMware images.
No room for my music collection :(.
As a remedy i was contemplating getting a 100G 7.2k drive and replacing my
60g with it. I would then move the 60g into the ultrabay and use it for
the VMware images as VMware only runs rarely and i could potentially shut
it down when not in use to save battery. I currently have a dvd burner in
there that i might want to use 1-2 times per month.
The questions i have about this are:

- I'm i correct in the assumption that the 60g will work in the ultrabay
provided i get the right drive adapter (just want to be sure i'm not
missing any gotchas there). I blew the rescue partition away, so i'm not
concerned about any of that.

- Is it possible to hot swap these devices? And if not is it possible to
swap them without rebooting by loading and unloading modules or some other
voodoo?

If anybody has any info on this, i'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

mario;>