[ltp] Z60m internal Conexant HSF Modem

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 10:17:42 -0600

* duncangareth@yahoo.co.uk <duncangareth@yahoo.co.uk> [2006 Feb 05 09:38 -0600]:
> Greetings
>
> I have been having problems getting the Conexant HSF internal modem in my Z60m
> to work under Mandriva 2006.0. I have installed the relevant hsfmodem kernel
> modules and the utilities, but whenever I try to access the modem via kppp's
> "query modem" function, I get the message "modem busy". I suspect that this
> is a bogus message, because it occurs whether I use /dev/ttySHSF[0123]
> or /dev/ttyS[0123] or /dev/modem.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of getting these lame winmodem devices to
> work? I should like to dispense with my trusty PCMCIA Xircom Ethernet/Modem
> combo card, because whenever I plug it in, I lose the Thinkpad's internal
> ethernet interface for some reason. Ultimately I should like to use the modem
> and the ethernet interface that come with the machine.

I had to set kppp to use Soft IRQ (XON/XOFF) for it to work on my T42
and kernel 2.6.14.  I documented this on the hsfmodem mailing list, but
so far haven't received confirmation that they've figured out a fix.

Since doing the above the modem has been reliable with no apparent
sacrifice of speed.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of