[ltp] Z60m internal Conexant HSF Modem

Duncan Anderson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:31:22 +0200

On Sunday, 5 February 2006 18:32, Richard Neill wrote:
> duncangareth@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> I should like to dispense with my trusty PCMCIA Xircom Ethernet/Modem
>
> > combo card, because whenever I plug it in, I lose the Thinkpad's internal
> > ethernet interface for some reason.
>
> That's odd. Are you sure you are losing the interface? Is it still
> listed in
>     ifconfig -a
> ?
> If yes, then you haven't "lost" the interface, but it has just ceased to
> be default. Check the output of `route`.  Or maybe the interface has
> been brought down by hotplug or something.
>
> If no, then check whether you need to load the kernel module again.
>
> HTH
>
> Richard

Thanks Richard

I was wrong about the "loss" of the ethernet interface, or at least partially
wrong. I have found that if I boot the machine up with the Xircom card
inserted in the PCMCIA slot, then the internal ethernet interface is not
detected, but if I boot up with the Xircom out, and then insert it after the
machine has come up, then the internal card is not affected.  I can live with
this situation, but I would still be very happy if I could get the infernal
hsfmodem to function.

I have looked at the Mandrake/Mandriva mailing list archives, the Mandriva
wiki and the Thinkwiki, and I have not found anything useful with respect to
getting the modem working. I have not tried "Linuxant" drivers yet.

I am curious as to why booting up with the Xircom installed should render the
internal ethernet interface invisible to the OS, though. I am going to have a
bash at compiling the latest kernel(2.6.15 or 16) and see if the problem
persists.

Thanks again for your input.

regards
Duncan