[ltp] vwmare booting the windows partition on T43?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:02:10 -0500

Hi All:
I wonder whether anyone has succeeded doing the following on a T43:
on a dual boot system, booting a windows partition that comes with the
computer from a linux partition using vmware, maybe workstation
version. I ask for this specific set up because it's rumored that

1) vmware boot windows partition residing on IDE easily drive, whereas
T43 using some really PATA/SATA driver interface for its hard drive.

2) I use fingerprint reader to sign in windows, would that affect my
vmware booting?

2) is not absolutely essential, I don't might typing passwords if
that's what it takes to use windows occasionally under linux.

My rationale for those interested: I also don't want to waste money to
buy another windows license and waste hard disk space to install it on
my linux partition.

If you succeed in those feat, would you might sharing some
tips/instructions? I can put a page on thinkwiki if I can get this to
work. I'm willing to buy a vmware workstation if I can get this to work
using the free 30 day trial. But if the free vmware player or the newly
free GSX can do the trick it'll be even better.

Thanks in advance tips and instructions!
Jiang