[ltp] Searching for an old IBM warhorse

Torsten Wagner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:39:54 +0100

O.K O.K  I now, this is somewhat off-topic. To everyone a big excuse
and  virtual beer who feels  harassed ;).

But since you all are not these "buy-use-dispose"-users of notebooks and
since I'm reading this mail-list for some month now, I know that many of
you are not only taking care of there private own but also of a bunch of
company notebooks. Therefore, I believe you are the best to answer this
question.

Could you tell me which IBM notebook is in your opinion the warhorse
until know. I do not mean which one is the fastest or newest.
I'm searching for the one which seems to be the most stable and reliable
one. Which model still works after years of extensive use for example by
your sales representatives (In my opinion the worst scenario for a
notebook ;) )?

The reason I'm asking for is quite simple. I'm searching a notebook for
someone. This guy do not like to spend a lot of money therefore we are
searching for a used model.
This guy is without doubt "the lord of all sales representative" with
all good and bad qualities. Since he has is own little company now, he
has to buy his own equipment.
He does not take care much of what means sensitive electronic, sometimes
I believe he makes no difference between computers and jackhammers :D.
Therefore, I need a very reliable notebook which could survive the
somewhat ruff contact. He only needs the computer to handle orders and
quotes as well as for car navigation. Which mean it has not to be the
fastest, but he will carry it everywhere ...

I checked ebay and just wonder that people there sell hundreds of  IBMs
with  nearly exact the same damages e.g. the T23 with a typical damage
of the frame and disturbing effects on the display. Therefore, I got
doubtful whether some of these old-timers has some known problems.

Could some of you tell me which models I should be beware of and which
will do the job ?

Thanks in advance and sorry again for the slightly OT

Torsten