[ltp] Searching for an old IBM warhorse

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:44:55 -0800

On Sunday 05 February 2006 02:39 pm, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> O.K O.K  I now, this is somewhat off-topic. To everyone a big excuse
> and  virtual beer who feels  harassed ;).
>
> But since you all are not these "buy-use-dispose"-users of notebooks and
> since I'm reading this mail-list for some month now, I know that many of
> you are not only taking care of there private own but also of a bunch of
> company notebooks. Therefore, I believe you are the best to answer this
> question.
>
> Could you tell me which IBM notebook is in your opinion the warhorse
> until know. I do not mean which one is the fastest or newest.
> I'm searching for the one which seems to be the most stable and reliable
> one. Which model still works after years of extensive use for example by
> your sales representatives (In my opinion the worst scenario for a
> notebook ;) )?

600x is the perfect Linux notebook. The only thing you might have to fiddle
with a little is the XOrg configuration. Also make sure you boot with ACPI
and local APIC turned off. Debian found everything but the configuration of
the video. Once you add the information that it's capable of 1024 x 768,
you're golden.

Yes, I am an owner. Yes, I am biased.

Take care,
Michelle