[ltp] Searching for an old IBM warhorse

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:03:42 -0500

Torsten Wagner wrote:
> Could you tell me which IBM notebook is in your opinion the warhorse
> until know. I do not mean which one is the fastest or newest.
> I'm searching for the one which seems to be the most stable and
> reliable one. Which model still works after years of extensive use for
> example by your sales representatives (In my opinion the worst
> scenario for a notebook ;) )?
That's actually a great question, unfortunately also a tricky one to
answer. A lot of the response is subjective in nature... and I'll come
out and admit for the group that not all of our feelings on the subject
are completely rational. Unfortunately, you're asking a group of "fans"
of the ThinkPad line in general, and we may not be the best to answer.

Case in point? You mentioned the T23's hinge-torque frame problems --
the whole T20 series suffers from the same problem. My T22's
right-corner frame has spread so much that the keyboard has started to
pop up through the space created by the cracking and erosion of the
plastic outer shell. In addition, I'm currently preparing to order a
replacement power supply from Targus, because the IBM original that's
currently powering it is so "touchy" I can't actually move the computer
anywhere for fear it'll never power up again. Finally, "something" is
going on with the RAM slots on the underside of the laptop, to the point
where the system doesn't detect the 128MB module I have in the second
slot reliably. Every time I cold-boot the machine, during POST I have to
press my fingers VERY firmly against the metal cover right over (under?)
the plastic casing for the RAM slots' pins, or it only detects 256MB of
RAM instead of my full 384MB. (After POST, the machine is fine, so
apparently it's just a detection pin that's flaky.)

Why do I mention all this? Because, despite all those problems, I
absolutely love the little thing. Buying it used a year and a half ago
was the best laptop purchase I could possibly have made with the limited
funds available to me. To be honest I fell in lust with the 1400x1050
screen as soon as I saw it, and the lack of 3D support and the
crappiness of the S3 video chipset in general have done nothing to deter
me. I'm just not a "3D guy". The keyboard is comfortable (I've found
ThinkPad keyboards to be about the only laptop keyboards I can stand to
use), I've eliminated virtually all hangs, freezes, or crashes running
Fedora Core 4 (with the help of a very large community of online
enthusiasts; special nod as always to Matthias Hensler for his
rock-solid kernel builds), and the machine is just plain GOOD despite
the quirks I've mentioned. Once I learned my way around those quirks the
basic _reliability_ of the box has always wowed me. Sure, the memory
slot is flaky, but it's flaky the same way every time! I know that
sounds insane, because it is. Lock me up, I still think the thing's great.

So, basically, you're asking for a sermon /from/ the converted. :)  Hope
you get some good answers, because I know I'm not qualified to answer
your question. I'm in love, and love is definitely blind. ;)

-FeRD