[ltp] a little ipw2200 trouble...

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:58:07 +0100

Hello

I'm running a heavily modded Debian on a R51 with intel-WLAN. It worked
w/o any problems for several months. But now the WLAN is failing to
startup at 10% of all cold-boots.

The WLAN-LED is on, ifconfig and iwconfig show it's up, running and using
the right parameters. The signal strength is OK. route is also always
looking the same. But network access fails very shortly after booting. My
mail-prog (autostarting) usually gets 1-2 DNS lookups and stalls
afterwards. In that case i cannot ping anything (except localhost and
127.0.0.1), not even the WLAN-AP.

Unloading and reloading the ipw2200-modules (ieee80211, firmware-class &
co) does not solve it, nor does "/etc/init.d/networking restart".

The wire-ethernet-port works (if i enable it by setting the right
parameter in /etc/networks/interfaces and do a "/etc/init.d/networking
restart")

There is nothing like whereAmI installed.

It never happens if i do a warmboot (after using windows or linux)

A reboot solves the problem.

The WLAN-AP works all the time, other systems use it w/o problems. Same
for the DNS-server/cache.

Any ideas on what could be the cause of this ? Partially loaded firmware ?

Thanks