[ltp] OT: Opera -Linux and IBM Rescue

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:46:57 +0000

There is an interesting interview [1] with Opera Software CEO and
co-founder Jon S. von Tetzchner on linuxdevices.com.
He speaks (very briefly [2]) about IBM rescue as one of their "most
exciting successes".

[1] http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4278062289.html

[2] relevant extract from the interview:

Q21. Can you share one or two of your companies most exciting successes?

A21.

[snip ...]
Another product I'm proud of is IBM ThinkPads. If you have a technical
problem and Windows won't start, there's a rescue system. That rescue
system is running Linux and Opera. I'm kind of proud of that; if
Microsoft fails, you have a rescue system with Linux and Opera.

Q21b. Is pre-boot rescue a growing market focus for Opera?

A21b. It's basically something that IBM wanted to do... it's important
that you provide good systems if there are problems, and Opera is a
good choice there because we have an embedded browser that gives you a
lot of flexibility, and works "light."

--
JP Renaud
Bristol, UK