[ltp] [X41] USB connector with power supply

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:42:44 +0100

Hello,

>> I own a X41 tablet and i'm asking what is that USB connector with power
>> supply. I mean, how can i use that? Is there any cable to connect that
>> little usb-like connector with, say, an external cd reader?
>
> It is a "Powered USB" connector:
> You can attach both a normal USB connector, or a modified PoweredUSB
> cable.

So basicly it's a USB-Port with a bit more power ?

The examples pages shows a barcodereader (these work very fine with
standard USB and even PS/2-Keyboard) and a POS-printer. I find it a bit
strange to power a ~50W POS-printer from a laptop. Seems like a IBM-only
tech to me.

Is there a downside ? Does the USB-par of the port work like a normal
USB-2.0-port ?

cu