[ltp] yet an other external monitor question (the same as ever) :)

Stephan Groß linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:49:37 +0100

On Thursday 09 February 2006 18:08, Paul RIVIER wrote:

Hi,

> Do you know if it is supposed to work on the radeon 9600 as well ?

AFAIK the 9600 is supported by the radeon driver (see 'man radeon'). BTW, I am
using xorg version 6.8.2.

> Does "Clone mode" work with different resolutions ?

You can define clone modes for different resolutions using the MetaModes
option (again see 'man radeon' for more informations). However, due to some
limitations you have to "scroll" the screen with the lower resolution (don't
know how to desribe it better). Thus, I usually use the lower resolution on
both screens. In xorg 7 there is the new option "MergedNonRectangular" to
change this behaviour which I have not tested yet.

> The big problem is that I will not be able to test it before the
> presentation, as I even don't have a external monitor at home :)

Well, asuming that Murphy's law is true ... ;-)))

> What is exactly the xrandr command you use, associated with this file ?

Actually, I am using krandrtray, a KDE tray widget. If you enter 'xrandr' on a
shell you will get a list of all defined resolutions like this one:

-------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------
[gross@espresso ~]$ xrandr
 SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
*0   1400 x 1050   ( 356mm x 267mm )  *0
 1   1280 x 1024   ( 356mm x 267mm )   0
 2   1024 x 768    ( 356mm x 267mm )   0
 3    800 x 600    ( 356mm x 267mm )   0
 4    640 x 480    ( 356mm x 267mm )   0
Current rotation - normal
Current reflection - none
Rotations possible - normal
Reflections possible - none

An 'xrandr -s <SZ>' will change the display to the respective resolution.

> Thank you again for helping me to get out of trouble :)

You're welcome,

Stephan.