[ltp] debian etch/sid + Xorg 6.9.0 + radeon driver freezes T41p (any others ?)

Nils linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:26:17 +0100

Hi there,
debian etch includes xorg 6.9.0 since one day and it's crashing my laptop. If
I move the konqueror windows very fast I get a crash in 2 seconds without any
debug information :-(

I use this ati card: (I think it's the same in all T41p)
lspci | grep ATI
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL
Mobility T2] (rev 80)

Okay, one workaround:
- update all packages and then replace two debs with old debs:
xserver-xorg_6.8.2.dfsg.1-11_i386.deb
xserver-common_6.8.2.dfsg.1-11_i386.deb

This is a very dirty solution, but I have tried the following options with
Xorg 6.9.0 :
Option          "NoAccel" "yes"
Option          "RenderAccel" "no"
Option          "DMAForXv" "no"
Option          "AGPMode" "1" # (any values)
The system will be slower and slower, but it also crashes.
I commented glx and dri,  but with no success.

Is there anybody with a better solution or is there anybody who is working on
this problem ? To recompile the xserver is no option for me.

Thanks,
Nils