[ltp] A thousand ways to wake a ThinkPad (X20)?

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:13:16 +0100

Hello

> I'm going to install some USB LIRC hardware. But i didn't see any
> "WakeOnUSB" like option in the BIOS. Would I be able to make it wake up
> from USB activity?

I don't think so. TPs switch off the USB at shutdown. W/o the 5V from the
USB bus most devices will not react.

> The only options in the BIOS are WakeOnLAN and WakeOnRing. As i
> understand, WakeOnLAN requires a magic network package, hence just
> giving a little power pulse to the Ethernet port would probably not wake
> it up, right?

Right.

> How about WakeOnRing?

With most implementations you just need apply some power (16V in europe)
to the modem port. It may be the way out, but you will have to read a bit
about the phone system and signal lines in your country.

> Does anyone have any other idea?

It is very easily possible to generate a pulse after dc comes back. A lot
microcontroller use that to reset/restart themself then connected to
power. If you use one of these and connect it to the power button of the
TP ?

cu