[ltp] pcmcia wireless card for T23

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:44:38 -0600

* Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@charter.net> [2006 Feb 15 20:14 -0600]:
> I'd like to get a pcmcia wireless card for my T23. When I visited
> Compusa, they had a couple of Linksys notebook cards. I haven't ben
> able to find anything about getting linksys cards to work in linux
> except that I found a couple of accounts of failed attempts on
> google. Can I get a Linksys to work? If so, do I have to be careful
> what model it is? If not, what pcmcia cards will work? Where can I
> find instructions to get Linksys or other cards set up with my t23?

I bought a Linksys WPC55AG PCMCIA card back in '04.  It works well with
the Madwifi Atheros driver.  The WPC11 (most common at Walmart, etc.)
is a crap shoot.  The later models most likely have the Realtek
chipset.

I made my choice based on the driver that was well supported by Kismet.
Madwifi seemed as good as any and I'm happy to report that Kismet works
well with Madwifi and the card.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of