[ltp] t41p - screen turns off without a reason

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:23:13 +0000

Teemu Nikkilä wrote:

>Hi,
>
>today my T41p started to behave strange, the screen turned off and there
>was no way to turn it on again. I'm using the X.org driver for the ATI
>graphic chip and until now I have had no problems with X or DPMS or the
>system in general.
>
>I've tried to reboot the machine several times and to run it on
>runlevels 3 and 5 and it always does the same: after some random time
>from fresh boot-up, the screen turns off despite user activity or
>inactivity. I can continue to work (and reboot) with a remote ssh
>connection to the machine.
>
>The only difference from my previous setup is that I disabled the HPA in
>BIOS and for the first time I was able to suspend to RAM, resume and go
>on without the system hanging. I have been using suspend to disk this
>far without problems.
>
>I know the screen may remain black after resume, but I have
>"acpi_sleep=s3_bios" in the boot options and I had no problems like this
>when I first tried S3 a couple of days ago.
>
>Any ideas are highly appreciated,
>Teemu

You need to find out wether its a software problem or a hardware one.
 Get an external monitor connected  to your thinkpad
with  the option in the bios to  display "Both" ie tft and crt.
 then run it as usual. Report back what happens.