[ltp] ati or radeon driver?

Norman Walsh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:04:14 -0500

--=-=-=

Also related to an upgrade to dapper, I'm now running X.org 7.0.0 where
I had been running, uh, 6.x. The old xorg.conf file caused problems, the
external display didn't work and I think it locked up at least once.
So I ran Xorg -configure and tweaked a bit and things seem better.
(Not perfect yet, but I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong.)

I notice that I used to use=20

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. FireGL Mobility T2 (M10 NT)"
	Driver		"radeon"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option		"backingstore"	"true"
	Option		"RenderAccel"	"true"
	Option		"MonitorLayout"	"LVDS,CRT"
	Option		"MetaModes" "1600x1200-1600x1200
EndSection

But Xorg -configure selected

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "ati"
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName   "M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

7.0.0 seems to ship with both the ati and radeon drivers. Are there
important differences between them? Should I go back to the radeon driver?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

=2D-=20
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | If man were never to fade away like the