[ltp] Hotswap driver (supports DMA, etc etc)

Jim Duchek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:02:10 -0600

------=_Part_225_30671103.1140559330719

Never mind about the space -- it just came back up.  I'll post a URL
shortly.

Jim

On 21/02/06, Jim Duchek <jim.duchek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Attached.  If you've got space, if you could post this tarball up and pos=
> the URL, I'd be grateful.  My cheap host should hopefully be back up by
> tonight, but I imagine I'm going to be bombarded by then...
>
> The infrastructure is there, it's just hiding.  I had to get a little
> creative.  For example, a given acpi device can only have one
> notify_handler, so I dig into local acpi stuff, pull off the handler if i=
t's
> already taken, replace it with mine, and then call their handler from min=
e.
> That kinda stuff.  To be honest, I could probably have done it in half th=
> length with just a few changes to the kernel tree, but the chances of tha=
> ever happening are slim, and there's often ramifications to some random
> driver.
>
> Your mileage may vary, but I think, anyway, that it ought to work on just
> about anything.  Let me know though, because I really haven't played with
> very many laptops.
>
> Jim
>

> On 21/02/06, Stefan Schmidt <stefan@sostec.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 15:25, Jim Duchek wrote:
> > > Hi.  I got bored last night (freakin' business trips) and wrote an
> > ACPI
> > > driver to handle hotswapping of IDE drives and batteries (yeah, I kno=
> > > batteries don't need much support, but was annoying to not be able to
> > see my
> > > ultrabay battery if I didn't boot with it in).
> >
> > Sounds good. But i'am surprised that the whole kernel infrastrucrure
> > is already there.
> >
> > > I don't want to attach a tarball to this list (even though it's only =
> > > little over 10k) and my webspace is down right now...  Be happy to
> > email it
> > > to anyone in the time being, I'd certainly like to see it tested a
> > bit.
> >
> > I think send the patch to the list not a problem. If you still don't
> > want this. Please mail as pm. By the way, if you need webspace just
> > ask.
> >
> > regards
> > Stefan Schmidt

------=_Part_225_30671103.1140559330719

Never mind about the space -- it just came back up.&nbsp; I'll post a URL s=
 <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Jim Duchek</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jim.duc=
hek@gmail.com">
jim.duchek@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"=
 style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.=
8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Attached.&nbsp; If you've got space, if you could =
post this tarball up and post the URL, I'd be grateful.&nbsp; My cheap host=
 should hopefully be back up by tonight, but I imagine I'm going to be bomb=
arded by then...
 little creative.&nbsp; For example, a given acpi device can only have one =
notify_handler, so I dig into local acpi stuff, pull off the handler if it'=
s already taken, replace it with mine, and then call their handler from min=
e.&nbsp; That kinda stuff.&nbsp; To be honest, I could probably have done i=
t in half the length with just a few changes to the kernel tree, but the ch=
ances of that ever happening are slim, and there's often ramifications to s=
ome random driver.
n just about anything.&nbsp; Let me know though, because I really haven't p=
=3D"e" id=3D"q_1098ea018cb1b7de_1">
On 21/02/06, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Stefan Schmidt</b> &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:stefan@sostec.de" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.Ope=
/div>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div><span class=
=3D"e" id=3D"q_1098ea018cb1b7de_3">
sp;&nbsp;I got bored last night (freakin' business trips) and wrote an ACPI=
know<br>

&gt; batteries don't need much support, but was annoying to not be able to =
 good. But i'am surprised that the whole kernel infrastrucrure<br>is alread=
y there.
s only a<br>&gt; little over 10k) and my webspace is down right now...&nbsp=
;&nbsp;Be happy to email it<br>&gt; to anyone in the time being, I'd certai=
nly like to see it tested a bit.
t<br>want this. Please mail as pm. By the way, if you need webspace just<br=
GP SIGNATURE-----
enfreihafen.org/contact.html" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.Op=
enExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.datenfreihafen.org/contact.html</a=

------=_Part_225_30671103.1140559330719--