[ltp] T23 Suspend2Ram and Suspend2Disk issues (savage framebuffer and tpb)

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:44:15 -0500

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 09:12 +0100, Tino Keitel wrote:
> Can I use savagefb and suspend/resume successfully using ACPI S3
> suspend at all, or is this a general problem?

On my TP21 compiling in the savagefb module will prevent both S3 and S1
ACPI sleep.  I had asked about this (and some other savagefb problems)
before[1] and after a lot of searching, my conclusion is that the
savagefb driver is quite troubled.  A response that I received on another
savagefb related bug[2] suggested that now vesafb is the de facto fb
module and that effectively savagefb is deprecated (I don't consider
this answer to be authoritative, but it does provide another example of
the extent of feelings against savagefb).

> > I also reactivated tpb (the ThinkPad OSD utility). When I suspend to
> > disk while the ThinkLight is switched on, X seems to hang after resume.
> > I can see a garbled tpb display in this case. I suppose that tpb tries
> > to show that the ThinkLight is now switched off, which causes the hang.
>
> Is anyone able to run tpb with the OSD enabled, switch on the
> ThinkLight, suspend to disk, and resume?

It worked for me (although the "ThinkLight off" text was off-color for
its first message after resume).  If you are using IBM-ACPI, as a
workaround, you might want to add "echo -n off > /proc/acpi/ibm/light"
to your suspend script.  If you are using the hibernate utility to
initiate the suspend, do you have SwitchToTextMode or UseDummyXServer
enabled?  If not, one of those may fix your problem (I have
SwitchToTextMode enabled).  But the real problem here is beyond my
expertise to try to debug.

--
Cheers,      |      kwl7@cornell.edu     |    kevinoid@jabber.org
Kevin Locke  |   http://kevinlocke.name  |   kevinoid on freenode