[ltp] Cronjobs

Wolfgang Karall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:13:13 +0100

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 22:56 +0100, Daniel Baule wrote:
> I installed Vixie-Cron and try to get it started but without success.

I guess it's better to ask this not very Thinkpad-related question
somewhere else, maybe in some Gentoo forum?

> Every minute Cron should start a script that does a check fpr temperature
> in /proc/acpi/ibm/ if temperature is above a certain level the fan should be
> started.

That's not a good idea, one minute might be enough to fry your CPU.
Better take a look at the fan control script in the ThinkWiki.

> */1   *  * * *  root    /home/chiefcommander/./ibm-fan.sh
> 00 */1 * * * root /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp1.upb.de ntp2.upb.de > /dev/null
> && /sbin/clock --systohc

Do these commands work when run as root from the command line? (use
Copy'n'Paste)

BTW, I wonder what the single . between chiefcommander/ and /ibm-fan.sh
should gain you...

Otherwise the crontab looks fine, is cron running? (check the logfiles
in /var/log) Are the hourly, daily etc. scripts run when they should be
run?

> 2.) i want to get all my fn-buttons work, but i do not find a good script for
> it and do not understand the tutorials at www.thinkwiki.org. whats the
> difference between xmodmap and tpb, whats best and what should how be used?

For Fn-key combinations, acpid is the way to go, since ibm-acpi sends
events to acpid. For key codes see
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_get_special_keys_to_work and in
case you can't figure out how to put those to work with acpid I have a
sample script on my T43p page (URL in my signature).

Regards
WK
--
http://linux.spiney.org/debian_gnu_linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_t43p