[ltp] More problems with T42p, ACPI and hibernation

Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:17:41 +0200

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:33:58AM -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> 	Since Ubuntu decided to ship non-working scripts with their=20
> acpi-support and acpi packages, I'm about to take on the task of=20
> writing my event handlers from scratch for bluetooth, suspend to=20
> ram/disk, and so on.
=2E..
> 	Can someone point me to an actual resource where _working_=20
> acpi event handlers can be found for Thinkpads?

Well, Ubuntu ACPI scripts work for me (T42 without a 'p'; Breezy).

Except that USB was dead after a resume from hibernation, when I tried
it today.  Since ACPI sleep works, I never use hibernation.)

Admittedly, I changed a few things:

 - changed a few settings in /etc/default/acpi-support:
     enabled ACPI_SLEEP=3Dtrue to make Fn-F4 suspend
     commented out ##ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=3Dfalse to make it spin down the
       hard disk when on battery.
     commented out ##SAVE_VBE_STATE=3Dtrue and ##POST_VIDEO=3Dtrue=20
       (suspend works fine without these; I think I win a little bit on
       suspend/resume speed)
     commented out ##LOCK_SCREEN=3Dtrue (personal preference)
 - disabled screen blanking/locking in /etc/acpi/lid.sh (personal
   preference)
 - forced hotkey mask of 0xffff in /etc/modprobe.d/ibm_acpi.modprobe so
   that I can bind a custom script to Fn-F6
 - added a new script to toggle Bluetooth on the otherwise-unused Fn-F6
   (Fn-F5 toggles both Bluetooth and Wifi)
 - installed the kernel from Dapper (so that radeonfb would prevent
   power drain in ACPI sleep).  This step slightly broke USB device
   automounting in GNOME, and I have to manually do 'pmount /dev/sda1'
   after inserting a USB mass storage device.
 - added 'radeonfb' to /etc/modules (to get a large text console and
   prevent power drain in ACPI sleep)

> 	I'd rather not have to do this from scratch, if there's=20
> already canned scripts out there that does it for me. Thanks.

Have you tried looking at /var/log/dmesg.log and trying to determine why
resume failed?  Does the kernel get a correct 'resume=3D/dev/XXX' argument
=66rom /boot/grub/menu.lst?  Is it visible in /proc/cmdline?

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Any time somebody tells you that you shouldn't do something because it's
"unprofessional," you know that they've run out of real arguments.
		-- Joel Spolski

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--