[ltp] T23 Suspend2Ram and Suspend2Disk issues (savage framebuffer and tpb)

Peter Frühberger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:21:41 +0100

Hi Tino,
Tino Keitel schrieb:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:44:15 -0500, Kevin Locke wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 09:12 +0100, Tino Keitel wrote:
>>
>>>Can I use savagefb and suspend/resume successfully using ACPI S3
>>>suspend at all, or is this a general problem?
>>
>>On my TP21 compiling in the savagefb module will prevent both S3 and S1
>>ACPI sleep.  I had asked about this (and some other savagefb problems)
>>before[1] and after a lot of searching, my conclusion is that the
>>savagefb driver is quite troubled.  A response that I received on another
>>savagefb related bug[2] suggested that now vesafb is the de facto fb
>>module and that effectively savagefb is deprecated (I don't consider
>>this answer to be authoritative, but it does provide another example of
>>the extent of feelings against savagefb).
>

> I switched to vesafb, using vga=791. Suspend to RAM works now. However,
> when I switch from X to the console, all I get is garbage.
>
> Since I only enabled the framebuffer to get a suspend2 progress
> display, it looks like I have to disable it again. It isn't possible to
> get working suspend to RAM and a usable framebuffer after running X.

>>>Is anyone able to run tpb with the OSD enabled, switch on the
>>>ThinkLight, suspend to disk, and resume?
>>
>>It worked for me (although the "ThinkLight off" text was off-color for
>>its first message after resume).  If you are using IBM-ACPI, as a
>>workaround, you might want to add "echo -n off > /proc/acpi/ibm/light"
>>to your suspend script.  If you are using the hibernate utility to
>

> This could do the trick. However, it won't fix ACPI S3.
>
> Nasty bugs...
>
> Regards,
> Tino

Have you tried vesa-tng from here:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/vesafb-tng/

I have made good experience with it

good luck

Peter

- --
		    Key-ID:     0x1A995A9B
		    keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Fingerprint: 4606 DA19 EC2E 9A0B 0157  C81B DA07 CF63 1A99 5A9B