[ltp] Fingerprint Reader

Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:04:06 +0000

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 02:46:48PM -0500, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>>So today, my fingerprint reader pretty much stopped working.  Somehow
>>I still managed to log in with it, but the screen saver, su, etc. all
>>give me the red X when I swipe.  Actually, it seems to give me the
>>yellow read problem screens more often, but even when that doesn't
>>happen it always fails.  I don't see anything different about my
>>finger... :)

If you are the only user of the laptop, then you might consider using
sudo. Add this to /etc/sudoers:

$YOUR_LOGIN        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

then either  "sudo COMMAND" or "sudo su".

If it is a single user machine, then the fact that you are logged in as
your normal user is in itself sufficient authentication to become root.
The need to become root stops you doing something stupid by accident -
but it doesn't protect the important stuff (your home directory) against
an intruder.

I know it's slightly OT, but it will save you a lot of hassle.

Richard