[ltp] t41p - screen turns off without a reason

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:37:54 +0100

Hello

>> Perhaps it's a problem because of thermal issues .. cause the fan isn't
>> able to cool the system under heavy load, even if I use the disengage
>> mode (echo 0x2F 0x40 > /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump) the CPU temp
>> reaches 94° and the system shutsdown.

Did you try cleaning out the airholes and tunnels ?

(...)

> But now that I think of it, there was a high pitch noise from the
> system when idle, and I think it was not there before I enabled the GPU
> power
> management.

Did you change from Kernel 2.4 to 2.6 to enable that ? 2.6 has a problem
with "singing": http://lwn.net/Articles/145973/ (read the comments at the
end)

> The noise was present also (again if I recall correctly) when the
> machine was suspended to ram or even turned off (via suspend-to-disk)!

In Suspend-to-RAM i can belive, suspend-to-disc on the other side raises
some interessting questions.

cu