[ltp] t41p - screen turns off without a reason

Teemu Nikkilä linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:27:42 +0200

Laurent Gilson kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 25. helmikuuta
2006 18:37):
> Hello
> > But now that I think of it, there was a high pitch noise from the
> > system when idle, and I think it was not there before I enabled the GPU
> > power
> > management.
>
> Did you change from Kernel 2.4 to 2.6 to enable that ? 2.6 has a problem
> with "singing": http://lwn.net/Articles/145973/ (read the comments at the
> end)

No, I've been running the same SuSE 9.3 default kernel from the beginning. I
know the problem, on my previous laptop (T21) it was pretty bad (I'm quite
sensitive to issues like that). I can't test anything now that the T41p is
being serviced, but I think it was fairly quiet in the beginning since I was
happy with it. Only later I noticed the whine - could have been after
enabling DynamicClocks.

> > The noise was present also (again if I recall correctly) when the
> > machine was suspended to ram or even turned off (via suspend-to-disk)!
>
> In Suspend-to-RAM i can belive, suspend-to-disc on the other side raises
> some interessting questions.

Indeed. I didn't have time to pay much attention to that when it happened,
because the machine had crashed hard, I had had to turn it off pressing the
powerbutton long and then I still was able to hear the noise. So I unplugged
the powersupply and removed the battery to get rid of the noise. After all
that I was worried about my filesystem(s) and ripped the disk out to run fsck
via a USB disk adapter.

-Teemu