[ltp] Cpufreqd und cpufrequtils

Guarded Identity linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:52:58 -0600

Hi Daniel,

On Saturday 25 February 2006 2:00 pm, Daniel Baule baule-at-upb.de wrote:
> Ok, i am running out of ideas,
>
> although my temperature is at 44=B0C and i have a script running, that is
> able to control the fanspeed, the fan is still running. I guess i made so=
me
> mistakes in configuring all the tools that i have, im pretty sure, there
> are more than one running but i don know for sure.
> Can someone tell me what i have to paste in order to solve my problem.
> In the kernel nearly everything is deactivated for testing, as picture at
> http://homepages.uni-paderborn.de/baule/Bildschirmphoto1.png shows.
> The Controlscript is listed below and some outputs of console and configs
> for debugging.
> Im a beginner in UNIX and especially Linux.
> Maybe someone can give me some hints like.
> In my opinion the right way is:
>
> -emerging ibm-acpi
> -setting experimental=3D1 in ????? i forgot the file, but i did it ????
> - deactiviting options in kernel
> - emerge cpufreqd and add it to runlevel default and battery
> - customize /etc/cpufreqd.conf like listed below
> - emerge cpufrequtils and customize /etc/conf.d/cpufrequtils
> (GOVENOR=3Duserspace)
> -make fancontrolscript (like listed below) and make initscript, add it to
> default and battery runlevel

Fan control is an interesting idea.  I never really pursued it, or I assume=
d=20
that my laptop was doing what makes sense naturally.  First off, the=20
"experimental=3D1" is something you needed to specify either=20
in /etc/modprobe.d/" with an entry in a file there like

"options ibm-acpi hotkey=3Denable,0xffbf experimental=3D1"

or maybe you have an entry directly in /etc/modules" exactly as above with=
=20
without the "options" keyword.

As per the IBM-ACPI website at http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/ you can see=
=20
what's supported for your laptop.  Definitely check that it's supported on=
=20
the table on that web site.  You'll noticed that fan control (among a few=
=20
others) is an experimental option.

Next, if you've gotten that far, check that there really is=20
a /proc/acpit/ibm/fan interface.  For instance, on my system I see...

$ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan=20
status:		enabled
speed:		0
commands:	enable, disable

Next, see if you're interface works.  As root (use sudo if you're set up fo=
r=20
it) try to write to it by executing `echo disabled > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan`.=
=20=20
Then cat the interface again and look at the status.  If it's disabled, be=
=20
careful and enable it again (don't want to overheat you system over somethi=
ng=20
stupid like this.

Actually, I just noticed that one of the things you cut and paste into your=
=20
last post was=20

> unter /proc/acpi/ibm/fan steht nur
>
> [code]
> status:         disabled
> speed:          4055
> commands:       enable, disable
> [/code]

So it appears your interface /is/ reporting that the control script is doin=
g=20
it's job.  But you're saying the fan is still physically running?  My best=
=20
guess then is that your laptop isn't supported.  Check that table on the=20
IBM-ACPI web site.

> I cant change cpuspeed using cpufreq-set -f 2000 or -g performance,
> cpufreqd says "No cpufreqd socket found"
> DO i have to change anything in my biossettings? There are several
> possibilities to configure in there.

cpufreq-set is a command provided by the cpufrequtils package, and it manag=
es=20
only the kernel-internal frequency-scaling support.  Since according to you=
r=20
picture, you only have the "userspace" governor compiled in your kernel,=20
there's nothing that cpufreq-set can do.  You have to rely completely on=20
cpufreqd to be=20

1) running correctly.  Something like `ps aux | grep cpufreq` can look for=
=20
that.

2) configured correctly.  I don't use that particular daemon, but I'll assu=
me=20
you've read the man page for cpufreqd.  Probably everything can be done=20
through "/etc/cpufreqd.conf" (I think that's what the file name is, not=20
sure).

- Sukant