[ltp] Opengl/xgl on T41, Debian Sarge 2.6.12.3

Shakthi Kannan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:59:44 -0800 (PST)

Howdy!

Specifications first:

IBM T41
Distro: Debian Sarge 3.1r0a
Linux: 2.6.12.3
Video: ATI 7500 (ohh well, 2 years old)

I have enabled CONFIG_DRM_RADEON support in the kernel
and am using /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with "ati" driver
and "dri" support enabled.

 glxinfo | grep direct

gives:

 direct rendering: Yes

I would like your views on how I could go about using
transparency, 3D window rotation et. al. on this
laptop, if possible:

1. From Debian, what do I need to install?

2. Or should I move to a recent distro that can
provide these features for me, like OpenSuSE?

I'd appreciate any feedback/advice/installation links
in this regard,

Thanks,

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan, MS
Software Engineer, Specsoft (Hexaware Technologies)