[ltp] Linux for old Thinkpads: Slackware? Vector? Zenwalk? Something else?

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 01 Jan 2006 10:49:30 -0600

Alex Wenzel wrote:

> Because I don't feel like trying a dozen or so distros, I ask you for your
> opinions which is the best for really slow hardware. If not Slackware, which
> are other alternatives? It has to be installable to a hard drive (this rules
> out Slax) and should reside in its own partition.

I have Vector 5.1 up on a 770E, mostly using the Fluxbox/ROX desktop.
Performance is acceptable and it makes a fine E-Mail/Browser Christmas
present machine for my wife.  It took a couple of months to sort out
problems with Wireless (Microsoft MN-520 card), sound, and getting the
darn fan to come on but I don't think those problems were Slackware
specific.

I also tried a Knoppix hard drive install, Ubuntu, and SuSE 10 with less
than satisfactory results on the 2.5 G root and 2 G /home partitions I
set up.