[ltp] Linux for old Thinkpads: Slackware? Vector? (etc.)

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:53:37 +1300

On Monday 02 January 2006 08:26, Alex Wenzel wrote:
> If only I knew a good desktop other than ROX/Gnome/KDE.
> One that holds real files (i.e. represents some kind of real folder,
> like in Windows or Mac), not only "Pointers" to files/apps. Any ideas?
You might care to look into FVWM. [1] It is described as:
"An extremely powerful ICCCM-compliant multiple virtual desktop window
manager". It has been given several skins and themes. [2] [3] [4]
There is one which is quite a reasonable Windows 95 look alike.

[1] http://www.fvwm.org/
[2] http://fvwm-crystal.linux.net.pl/
[3] http://fvwm-crystal.berlios.de/
[4] http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/

Some years ago I offered it reasonably successfully to a rather intelligent
70 y.o. granny. At that time she had a 100 MHz '486.

--
CS